Thursday, March 8, 2007

Welcome!

Welcome to my blog! I will look forward to discussing various things with you all, sharing views, debating issues, etc. I will strive to maintain a polite, civil board, and I will appreciate it if you would do the same. Heated, passionate discourse and strongly held views are respected by me even if we don't share the same opinions, but I don't like to have my feelings hurt any more than you do, so please--no insults or out-and-out rudeness. Thank you in advance.

About myself--I'm college-educated, married with 2 teenage children and a 4-yr. old. I'm in my mid-forties. My interests include music, movies, reading, history, politics, and swordsmanship. I have studied the Japanese martial art of kendo since 1982. Feel free to visit my channel on YouTube, you may find some things there you like. Or not.

Again, welcome.

2 comments:

Georgia said...

Very cool -- I look forward to reading more about Kendo and the philosophy it represents -- and what other intriguing thoughts appear!

shazam said...

Sounds like a fine match!

Yes, by all means, attack! That’s my motto. It’s not a sophisticated strategy it’s just a simpler plan and simpler plans have a greater chance of working out then complicated ones. Defense requires greater skill since you will have to react at a time not of your choosing to techniques that will only become apparent as they unfold. On the other hand, if you attack you can choose the time and the techniques you’ll use and leave the guessing to your opponent. Hopefully he’ll guess late.

On the other, other hand … attacking is tiring, it’s hard to keep it up. If Kendo matches were say two minutes longer I think you’d see a lot more defense.

To sum up: An opponent who seems to be watching and waiting may in reality be tired and confused especially at the level where I compete. Why wait on an opponent eyeing you in defensive pose to slowly work out some dastardly means to your demise? Whack him now while he’s thinking about it!

Shazam